Old World Concrete AutoSpec

Old World Concretes

Old World Concretes was founded in 1919 by William Stephen Winter. Old Mr Winter first began casting small concrete garden pieces in his backyard which he delivered to his clients by ox wagon. As the popularity of his quality products grew, he received requests for many more pre-cast items.

In 1920 William Winter opened the first showroom in Jeppe with his son Hardwick Stephen Winter and changed the ownership to W Winter and Son. Many years of success at the Rand Easter Show led them to be gold medal winners for their outstanding show stands. During this period ornate fireplaces, polished marble terrastone bathroom items (such as sinks, basins, etc) and their popular chimney piece designs, which can still be seen on many older Johannesburg houses, were some of the masterpieces of the Winter team.

The leadership of the company was then taken over by Cedric Stephen Winter, the son of Hardwick, and Erica and Richard Freeman (daughter and son-in-law of Hardwick). Fountains and large garden ponds became very popular in the 1960's and 1970's along with many styles of pre-cast walling. The company has always shown an ability to change with the times, a characteristic that has served them well as a greater demand in the building and architectural fields has grown.

Now with branches in Johannesburg and Cape Town the company moves into the future with Martin and Jeremy Winter (sons of Cedric Winter). Products continue to be of the highest quality, manufactured and delivered with the utmost respect for customer satisfaction. The intergrity and high moral standards of the company, carried through each family generation from its founder, continue to make Old World Concretes a leading pre-cast concrete manufacturer in South Africa.